The most popular attraction right now at Walt Disney World is Hollywood Studio’s new Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. Opening for the first time for guests on December 5, 2019, the ride only operated five short months before being shuttered due to COVID-19. Back in operation now since the reopening of Walt Disney World in July, this attraction is winning not only the popularity contest but also scores at the top of the “most-hard-to-get” category. Want to join the Resistance? Here are few things to know about this attraction and tips to score a Boarding Group to ride.
Like No Other Attraction
This attraction is incredible and like no other experience at Walt Disney World. Using animatronics, motion simulators, a walk-through, and a trackless ride, Disney completely immerses you into the battle of the First Order. You won’t be on the ride long before you will be asking “how did they do that?” Before you have much time to come up with an answer to that question, you find yourself being “interrogated” by Cast Members playing the role of the First Order. Decked out in First Order uniforms they are quick to speak in commanding tones and bark orders on where to go and what to do. Throughout the entire attraction, you will come face-to-face with a multitude of animatronics including Kylo Ren, General Hux, BB-8, Finn, and a whole company of Storm Troopers. And before the excitement of all the animatronics wears off, you will be dodging what appears to be life-size AT-ATs.
Only Way to Ride This Attraction is To Secure a Boarding Pass
If you want to enjoy this attraction, you will need to make it into a Boarding Group. Unlike other Disney attractions, you cannot wait in line for this one. To secure the “possibility” to ride Rise of the Resistance you must join a Virtual Queue on the My Disney Experience app. You may attempt to join the virtual queue at 7:00am and 1:00pm. You must have fast fingers to be successful (be sure to check out the tips below). If you are successful, you and your family will be assigned a Boarding Group number. Your My Disney Experience app will notify you when it is time for your Boarding Group to ride the attraction. You will have one hour to make your way to the entrance of Rise of the Resistance.
The Bad News….You May Not Score a Boarding Pass
I’m not going to lie, it is stressful trying to grab a Boarding Pass. The reality is that not everyone will get a Boarding Pass. On our last trip, my phone froze right before the queue opened in the morning, and although only down for 20 seconds or so, by the time my screen was operational again and I attempted to join the queue I could already hear those around me celebrating and knew it was too late. Fortunately, at 1:00pm I tried again and my family was successfully placed in a Back-Up Boarding Group and we were able to ride the attraction later in the evening.
Even Non-Star Wars Fans Will Love It
You don’t have to be a Star Wars fan to be in awe of this attraction. I deliberately did not put this information at the top of the article for fear the die-hard Star Wars fans would stop reading, but I have a little confession. I am not a Star Wars fan. I have only seen the first Star Wars movie and that was when I was a teenager (just a few years ago). Even though I am not a Star Wars fan, I love this ride! Rise of the Resistance is Ah-Mazing!
Here are a few tips to help you score a Boarding Pass for Rise of the Resistance:
- You may attempt to join the Virtue Queue at 7:00am and again at 1:00pm, if you were not successful the first time. You must have a Park Reservations for the day to join at 7:00am. Since the park does not open this early you can attempt to join the Virtual Queue from the comfort of your resort room. However, to attempt to join the Virtual Queue at 1:00pm you must be inside Hollywood Studios.
- A few minutes before 7:00am log on to your My Disney Experience account. Click on the three lines on the bottom right and then click on Virtual Queues.
- From this screen, you can continue to refresh the screen until it hits 7:00am.
- As soon as it hits 7:00am click on Join Virtual Queue.
- If Boarding Groups are still available you will hit Join Boarding Group.
- On the next page, the people in your group who are eligible for a Boarding Group will already be selected and you should click Join. If it is successful you will be assigned a Boarding Group number.
- In a nutshell, you will need to click on “Join” a total of three times. Move as quickly through the process as you can (taking little, if any, time to read the screen, just keep hitting “Join”). The boarding groups will fill in 5-10 seconds on some days.
- If you are not successful at 7:00am, repeat this same process at 1:00pm (from inside the park).
- If you secure a Boarding Group, you will receive a notification on your My Disney Experience account when it is time for your Boarding Group. You will have one hour to go to the attraction.
Ready to join the Resistance and head to Hollywood Studios? Reach out to us at Castle and Cruise Adventures to assist with planning your trip and providing other tips to ensure an amazing family vacation. Click here to request a free quote: https://castleandcruiseadventures.com/RequestQuote/